As a cat owner, you are accepting of the fact that your cat’s litter box is not the freshest part of your home. I would dare say that it is the one thing cat owner’s everywhere do not like about being a cat parent.
Yet today’s pet market has a wide variety of ways that you can help to keep your home smelling fresh while retaining the functionality of a litter box. We combine the following products to help improve the smell around our cat litter tray:
- A Cat Litter Box that helps to control odour
- A good biodegradable or clumping cat litter to capture the mess quickly
- A cat litter mat to prevent the spread of the litter and mess from the area
- A cat litter deodoriser to help improve the smell of the cat litter area
Our Top Cat Litter Deodoriser Picks
We’ve picked out our favourite cat litter fresheners from our reviews further down this guide.
Best Cat Litter Freshener Reviews
We have picked out our favourite cat litter fresheners available on the UK market today.
1. Bob Martin Stay Fresh Cat Litter Freshener Baby Soft Scent
This pack of six is an easy-to-use cat litter deodoriser. Sprinkle the powder in the litter box daily for a fresh and clean scent. The tub is an easy to pour tub, that makes it easy to prepare your cat litter.
This freshener kills 99% of bacteria and significantly reduces the horrible smells coming from your cat litter box.
- Easy to use
- Is scented and may not suitable for sensitive pets or owners.
2. Zero Odour Pet Odour Eliminator – Air Cleaner, Purifier & Deodorizer
This freshening spray eliminates odours around your cat litter tray. It can be used on all surfaces, including the litter box as it removes all pet odours, even from fabrics. It is slightly more expensive than the other products, but it lasts longer.
We have this product in our cupboard to help control odours around the home. It’s excellent at removing bad smells or freshening a room within a minute or two.
- Ready to use, no mixing required
- Easy to use as it is in spray form
- Works as a general air freshener and is not limited to the litter box.
- It is quite pricey compared to other options
3. Simple Solution Cat Litter Freshener with Enzymatic Cleaning Granules
It works as both a litter freshener and a cleaner. It uses pet-friendly pro-bacteria in the granules and is safe for your cat.
- Very well priced,
- In granule form creating little to no dust
- Has a light spring scent
- This same product comes in spray form for any cat owners who would rather have a spray.
- Scent can be irritating for some overly sensitive cats
4. Petkin Cat Litter Deodorizer Aromatherapy
This light powder can be sprinkled under or over your cat litter. It combines odour-eliminating activated baking soda with refreshing aromatherapy scents for a clean and fresh smell.
- Odour eliminating
- Refreshing scent
- Easy to use
- Can form dust
- The scent may be irritating for sensitive cats and owners.
5. Ever Clean Cat Litter Fast Acting Odour Control
These clay-based freshener clumps trap odours using activated carbon technology. It locks odours from urine and faeces, releasing 60% more odour-blockers within 3 seconds.
- Excellent for small spaces
- The paw-activated fragrance has lasting freshness – It only releases fragrance when the box is in use by your cat(s)
- Long-lasting with the 10-litre box lasting you about two months
- Does not create dust.
- Only suitable for fully grown cats as it can be dangerous if ingested by kittens
Benefits of having a Cat Litter Freshener
It is easy to dismiss the need for a cat litter freshener, especially if you are already used to the smell or clean your litter box twice a day. But here are a few reasons you should consider investing in a good cat litter freshener:
- Complete elimination of odour by the deodoriser. Just think of how fresh your house will smell!
- long-lasting fragrance
- When combined with a cat litter mat you can limit the odours spreading from your cat litter box
What to consider when buying Cat Litter Freshener
There are a lot of things a loving cat owner thinks of when buying their cat anything. To streamline your thinking process, we have compiled a list of the chief considerations to consider before your purchase:
- The general scent of your home: What does your home generally smell like? This is the overall smell that comes from the air fresheners you use, the herbs or flowers you have in and around your house and the scent of your cleaning products. You do not want to buy a cat litter freshener whose scent clashes with the one already used in your home. You’ll end up having a strange odour throughout your home.
- Allergies: Are you allergic to any particular scent? Is your cat allergic to a specific scent? You shouldn’t purchase a scent you or your cat(s) are allergic to.
- The number of cats you have: The more cats you have, the stronger your litter box freshener has to be. Also, if you have several litter boxes, then you have to think of the number of fresheners you will have to buy.
- Is it safe to use: Fresheners tend to have a lot of chemicals to ensure their effectiveness in eliminating odours. Because of this, you have to be extra careful with the ingredients in the cat litter freshener you buy since some of these chemicals are toxic and/or fatal if ingested. Your cat licks itself and its paws, therefore you have to ensure his or her safety by buying the right products and carefully following usage instructions.
Buyers guide to Cat Litter Fresheners
As a new pet owner or perhaps a new buyer of cat litter fresheners, you may be deeply confused. Don’t you worry, we are here for you. Here is a short guide to buying cat litter fresheners.
1. Ingredients in cat litter fresheners
The most common ingredients in cat litter fresheners are baking soda, zeolite, borax and fragrance. The use of baking soda masks the odour of the litter then the fragrance makes the air smell fresh, or fruity or flowery depending on your chosen scent. Borax, though very useful in masking odours, can be extremely dangerous if ingested.
Be careful with the ingredients and be sure to follow the instructions. Some components are toxic if they come into contact with other chemicals around your home. Others are safe only when used properly according to the included instructions.
Remember to check through the ingredients’ list and carefully follow instructions to avoid any dangerous situations.
2. Types of cat litter fresheners:
Cat litter fresheners come in a variety of different types. They are:
- Sprays: They work like any other kind of air freshener and are sprayed directly into the litter box. They have great coverage due to their liquid form and help you cover the entire litter box quickly and evenly.
- Granules: They are smaller than cat litter so you will be able to differentiate them. Made of zeolite the granules are very useful in absorbing odours. They are great for any cat owner with sensitivity to fragrance as they mostly come fragrance-free.
- Powders: When sprinkled in the litter box, they activate when they come into contact with moisture. Powders are the cheapest form of freshener and contain baking soda but also fragrance to eliminate odour. These are great for your wallet.
- Beads: They are larger than granules and last longer. These are a good option for anyone who is gone for long periods of time. They also do not create dust and do not clump or mix with cat litter easily. They do tend to be more expensive.
I hope this helps you have a fresh, cat-friendly litter box every day. Remember to pick an option that works well for your wallet, your cat and your home. Keep your choice simple and non-toxic and you will be able to maintain a fresh litter box. Happy cat parenting!